YouTube marketing is a great tool for driving your business forward. So here’s a breakdown of what you need to know about why it works so well and how to use it…
Did you know that after Google, YouTube is actually the second biggest search engine in the world? With an average of 5 billion videos being watched on the platform every day.
It’s an impressive statistic and reinforces the idea that people love to acquire knowledge and entertain themselves through the medium of video. Whether we are learning to cook, checking out movie reviews or laughing at funny cat videos, video offers an engaging and easy way to digest content.
With so many people using YouTube in their day-to-day lives, it offers businesses a fantastic opportunity to reach their customers and grow their audience.
Why YouTube Marketing?
Many businesses turn to social media channels like Facebook or LinkedIn before they embrace YouTube marketing. They underestimate the potential that YouTube can offer.
So how effective is YouTube Marketing and why should businesses be making more from this platform? Let’s look at the facts:
- YouTube reaches more 18-49-year-olds than any broadcast or cable network on mobile.
- YouTube processes more than 3 billion searches a month.
- One billion hours of video are watched on YouTube every day.
- 56 case studies across eighty countries showed that YouTube advertising generated a higher ROI than TV in nearly 80% of the cases
Put simply, YouTube offers you a way to reach your target audience in a way that other channels cannot.
Marketing on YouTube
YouTube marketing is a deep subject which spans from the tiny details of profile optimisation to reaching vast audiences through running YouTube ads. In this section, we look at the fundamentals of how and why you should be marketing your business on YouTube.
Representing your business on YouTube offers an opportunity to build trust and grow authority by creating content that educates and resonates with your target audience.
The medium of video allows you to add a level of personality to your business that is otherwise very difficult to achieve outside of face-to-face meetings with clients. It provides a platform where your business can communicate their position and views in a concise and engaging way.
Remember that YouTube is a social media platform. Your content should provoke conversation and generate interest in your business offering.
Given the stats we gave at the beginning of this article, it should be fairly obvious that your target audience is very likely to be using YouTube in some way. The potential reach is huge, but this doesn’t mean that you can simply demand attention.
By working on creating an entertaining, authoritative and engaging presence on the platform, you put yourself in the best position to earn your audience’s attention.
YouTube enables you to reach new demographics that you might otherwise struggle to reach.
Producing high performing YouTube videos is a great way to get your business found on search engines. The first and most obvious reason for this is the fact that YouTube IS the second biggest search engine, therefore if you are ranking high on their search results you are going to see high levels of traffic.
In addition to this, search engines like Google know that video is the most engaging type of content and in most cases serves YouTube videos near the top or first in their search results (after paid ads obviously). Just look at the results for “How to make YouTube marketing video” below…
So, if you are ranking high on YouTube, you will likely rank high on Google as well.
YouTube Marketing: Top Tips
- Know your audience. Understand who you are trying to target and create engaging, compelling content that they would want to watch. Just using YouTube videos to highlight the benefits and features of your products and services will get you nowhere.
- Target keywords. Just like on other search engines, YouTube returns results based on user search terms and matches them with the most relevant content. Make sure you are using the best keywords possible in your title and descriptions.
- Keep it fresh. Just like on all other social media, posting regular, quality content is the best way to keep your audience engaged and coming back for more. It is also likely that the search algorithms on YouTube place importance on up-to-date content, so don’t shy away from updating older content when new information is available.
- Use explanative, engaging cover images. Imagine your video is like a mini advert in the YouTube search results. Your video preview should be highly engaging and help people understand what they are going to get. Check out the covers below to see how this is done.
Smart YouTube Marketing can offer businesses a great way to reach their target audience in an authentic and powerful way. Getting started is as simple as creating a branded account, developing a strategy that aligns video marketing to your business goals and creating your first few videos.
Want a professional hand in creating compelling, authoritative content which can be used on YouTube? Get in touch today.
Small Films is a London video production company. We create films for the UK’s leading brands including Aldi, Co-op and EDF Energy.